Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:07:26 -0400
From:      Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: helping victims of terror

And thinking that a particular system is best equates with thinking that
it's flawless?

The only thing I could find on CNN from that day was at:
http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2001/09/17/news/v_grasso/index.htm
which is an interview with Grasso, the NYSE head.  And it's not as strong
in tone as you indicated, so I guess that's not what you're referring
to.  What you heard may have been rhetoric designed to *prevent* irrational
investor behavior.

Personally, I think that the stock market does do a damn good job when
analyzed over the long term.  Short-term analyses can be skewed in either
direction, but the long-term principles remain sound.

And I hardly think that the market drop of September 17th was caused by
"irrational" fears.  This country (and many others doing business with it)
were hurt significantly by the attacks in the previous week, and the domino
effect caused a lot of economic problems for the foreseeable future that
will no doubt be corrected, but it will take some time.

--Chip Morton