Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 23:03:49 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restricting Users Geographically

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 07:10:27PM -0800, Tom Samplonius thus spoke:

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Bill Vermillion wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 04:26:05PM -0500, Blake Crosby thus spoke:
> >
> > > I have no gripe against any one country, there are plenty of
> > > mirrors for other countries (including 3 for the usa). I dont see
> > > why visitors don't use the mirror for their country, this way,
> > > they are forced to.
> >
> > Well the 'country' we are all living in is commonly called planet
> > Earth.  I find that for many things I can get data from a European
> > site faster than a US site.  This is of course dependant upon the

>   US and Canada are on the same continent though.

>   Mirrors should probably be setup on a continental basis, rather
> than a courtry basis.

Not neccesarily.  The backbone I'm on has terabit links to Europe
and some place in Europe are faater to get to than NA link on
slower connections such as running only on T1s or T3s.

Close made a lot of sense in the early days when much was on leased
56K lines and dialup - but with global links the only criterion
should be how fast you can get ot the other site.  Some of that
will depend entirely on the peering provisions of your provider and
the links they use to get onto the major backbones.

Bill