Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 21:03:47 -0400
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        jim@freebsd.org
Cc:        rpratt@ezwv.com, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Update install documentation?

Hi!

I recently installed FreeBSD for the first time, being a Linux user for the past
two years.

My first attempt crashed with a hardware conflict that I could not solve (see my
posts on freebsd-questions, 05-Apr-2001).
As suggested by Randy Pratt (rpratt@ezwv.com) in his "Install Preview for
FreeBSD 4.2" (http://people.FreeBSD.org/~rpratt/42/index.html) I got into the
visual configuration editor (kernel devices) and resolved all conflicts. Then
procceeded to the device probing, several times, to find that no matter what I
changed, my NIC will not be configured correctly.

After this I decided that, given the lack of suggestions on the mailing list I
would try to remove the card and insert it into another slot.
But before doing that I tried to change a BIOS option.
In my BIOS, there is an option to tell the BIOS that you are using a Plug and
Play OS (PnP). It was configured as YES. The BIOS on screen help said that the
other option (NO) would make the BIOS itself to set the configuration options
for the hardware. I had always thought (after reading the Handbook, section 10.2
on disks) that FreeBSD does not use the BIOS, and so it would make no sense to
change anything in it ... FreeBSD would not care. It seems that this is not the
case (perhaps my fault to have understood that in the beginning...). After
changing that option the installation worked OK (as expected).

Now, I think that the documentation would benefit from an update. Perhaps
mentioning how to handle BIOS options or some recomendations about it would
benefit newbie users.
Also, I think that the step by step guide written by Randy should be mentioned
in the book (I saw it in the FreeBSD web site but is not in my handbook).
Particularly the suggestion to try the configuration and probing several times
(without actually installing anything) was very helpful to me. I would not have
thought I could have done it that way ... after all I am a newbie!

I hope the suggestion will make for a better install guide.

Keep up the good work!
Documentation is some of the areas in which FreeBSD excels. I am really
impressed. I hope that a suggestion like the one I made does not make you think
otherwise.

Fernan

PS: please feel free to correct me if some or all of what I said was plain
wrong. It could well be that I just fixed my problem without knowing what I was
doing.

--
Fernan Aguero
Bioinformatics