Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 09:42:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Duane H. Hesser" <dhh@androcles.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD kernel as a replacement for Linux kernel

Anyone remember the old Pyramid OSX 'universe' command?

In the mid-80s, when the "System V" versus "BSD" dichotomy was in
full bloom, Pyramid delivered a system with two "universes" available.
A user could specify 'universe bsd' and work in a pure BSD environment;
'universe att' placed you in a pure S5 environment (of the time).
A user in the BSD environment could "cross the line" by issuing a
command like "att ls", or even "att cc ....".  The universe was
marked by a flag which affected the interpretation of "conditional
symbolic links".  A separate syscall was available to create
conditional symbolic links.

Sequent also implemented conditional symbolic links, although I
seem to recall that the Pyramid implementation was a bit more
complete.

How about a 'FreeBSD' universe and a 'Linux' universe?

Of course, you need a "complete" set of utilities for each universe
(for some definition of "complete").