Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 08:00:38 -0600
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>
To:        Janos Mohacsi <mohacsi@bagira.iit.bme.hu>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: preventing single user login w/o password

On Mon, Dec 21, 1998 at 12:17:30PM +0100, Janos Mohacsi wrote:
> How can I prevent booting FreeBSD into the single user mode without
> supplying either root or maybe  different password?

Change this line (in /etc/ttys):
console	none				unknown	off secure
to:
console	none				unknown	off insecure

This does not prevent booting from a floppy, and mounting filesystems from
there.  Even if you disable floppy/cdrom booting (or remove all floppy/cdrom
drives), it does not prevent opening the machine and shorting the "reset
bios cmos settings" jumper.

--
Zach Heilig (zach@gaffaneys.com)
Our one strength was that our senior officers were more flexible than theirs...