Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 00:46:53 +0100
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        Julian Stacey <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Floppy driver needs enhancement...

As Julian Stacey wrote:

> Would be nice, Joerg W. (cc'd) looked in that direction somewhat
> I recall, I can't remember how far he got, I do recall some patches
> I didnt get to try, can't remember quite what for,   Joerg, can
> you recall ?

Use "fdread -r" for this (FreeBSD-current only).

> Anyway, if anyone does offer such a read(), I'll add it to valid().

Well, it's not that simple.  Have a look at how fdread implements
it...  Basically, there's no way how a Unix read(2) can both return
(erroneous) data /and/ simultaneously notify the caller there has been
an error.  The hack is that you explicitly need to turn off driver
error reporting once you know about your bad sector, then read the
sector with error reporting turned off, and eventually turn it on
again to continue.