Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:54:13 -0700
From:      "Geoffrey T. Cheshire" <gtc@cheshirelaw.com>
To:        "Freebsd-Mobile" <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: 802.11b security (was: Dell Inspiron 2500 and what 802.11b)

Here's an article with a little technical info, and a BSD Perl script for
wireless sniffing.  I guess you need an 802.11 NIC that can be forced into
promisc.  Don't know which ones those are.

http://www.free2air.org/?op=displaystory;sid=2001/4/13/1419/40470

It'd be interesting to do some security testing on your own wireless
networks, and see what's really going on.  I'd be most concerned in
high-density areas like SF, SJ, or apartments/condos.

Unlike some posters on Slashdot, I'd be pissed if someone were leeching my
broadband access, not to mention the HUGE liability issue should someone
hack or warez or Pr0n out via my IP!  ("You see, officer, there's this WEP
insecurity concerning 802.11b, and when MACs are exposed in the
clear...wait!...no, really!...hey, why are you boxing all my stuff up with
that red EVIDENCE tape??...Oww, do you have to put these on so tight?")

Geoff
- - -
Geoffrey T. Cheshire <gtc (at) cheshirelaw (dot) com>
PGP IDs: 0xA898DA75, 0x7B9C0691 (office), 0x43713B0D (RSA)