Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 20:07:28 -0600
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Ron Smith" <ronnetron@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Netscape browser

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Smith" <ronnetron@hotmail.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2001 7:16 PM
Subject: Netscape browser

> Hey!...Guys and Girls,
>
> I've installed FreeBSD 4.2 on a dual homed gateway with NAT/DNS in
place (open firewall). There is another FreeBSD box and a windoze box
on the same internal subnet (192.168.0.x). I've installed netscape on
both the FreeBSD box and the windoze box (The FreeBSD box is runing
X). The windoze box can browse, with no problem but, the FreeBSD
cannot. The IP address on the windoze box is set correctly with the
default gateway set at 192.168.0.1 and the DNS search order set at
192.168.0.1. This configuration is working fine for the windoze box.
However, the FreeBSD box cannot browse at all. When trying to browse,
I get an error message saying that Netscape is unable to locate the
server and, there may be a problem with my name server, and that
$SOCKS_NS may have to be set to the appropriate name server. What am I
missing? What other files need to be configured on the FreeBSD box in
order to make Netscape browse properly?

I am assuming you are talking about the FreeBSD box that isn't your
NAT/DNS machine.  Is netscape the only thing that you are having
problems with?  Can you ping by IP or hostname out to the net?

As far as files, you need the following:

/etc/rc.conf   defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"
/etc/resolv.conf    nameserver 192.168.0.1

There's a bit more to it than that, but I would need more info to give
you more specific help.

Josh

freebsd-questions" in the body of the message