Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2024 02:41:55 +0100
From:      Tomek CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
To:        Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>, olce@freebsd.org,  "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Subject:   Re: noatime on ufs2

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 1:50=E2=80=AFAM Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > Olivier Certner wrote on
> > Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 10:01:48 UTC :
> > > What I'm saying is that, based on others' input so far, my own (long,=
 even if not as long as yours) experience and some late reflection, is that=
 "noatime" should be the default (everywhere, all mounts and all FSes), and=
 that working on "relatime" won't make any real difference for most users (=
IOW, I think that developing "relatime" is a bad idea *in general*). And I =
think this is a sufficiently reasonable conclusion that anyone with the sam=
e inputs would conclude the same. So, if it's not the case, I would be inte=
rested in knowing why, ideally.

> > I never use atime, always noatime, for UFS. That said, I'd never propos=
> > changing the long standing defaults for commands and calls. I'd avoid:
>
> .. Very well said Mark ...
>
> Please folks stop tweaking defaults, especially long standing ones,
> if you feel the need for noatime, set it, by all means, I have been
> for 30 years....
>
> .. what Mark said very well removed for brevity ...

+1 :-)