Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 08:53:49 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange SCSI panic - devstat_end_transaction

"Kenneth D. Merry" wrote:

> The devstat warning is just a symptom of the problem, and not the real
> cause of the problem.  It basically indicates that one of a couple of
> things have happened:
>
>  - a transaction has been completed twice
>  - the buffer queue has been corrupted somehow (Justin said that duplicate
>    buffers might do it) and we ended up getting more transaction
>    completions than transaction starts.
>
> The devstat message is informational, and won't cause any system problems,
> but it does indicate some other problem.
>
> > devstat_end_transaction: HELP!! busy_count for da2 is < 0 (-1)!
> > panic: vwakeup: neg numoutput
> > mp_lock = 01000001; cpuid = 1; lapic.id = 01000000
> > boot() called on cpu#1
>
> I'm not sure what the problem is, and I haven't seen this one recently.
> Have you ever had the problem before?

No, never... :-(

> Can you reproduce it?  i.e., if you newfs the Vinum volume again, does it
> happen again?

No, I've successfully newfs'd the Vinum volume a number of times since...

Thanks for the info above!, If it happens again, I'll try again to get a dump,
and get back to you... (I guess I'm hoping it doesn't happen again - though it
would be nice to figure out what happened :)

Regards,

Karl