Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 07:46:47 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Large system backups; recommendations for devices & strategies?

As Mike Smith wrote...

> (Please pardon the crosspost to -isp; I'm looking for comments from
>  people with experience administering backup strategies for largish
>  networks, and I suspect some of you lurk there.)
>
> I'm looking for recommendations for both backup devices and backup
> strategies for a network of about six systems and perhaps 50GB of
> data.  Ultimately, I'd like something that can run more or less
> unattended, modulo media changes, etc.  (ie. I expect using Amanda or
> similar.)

I'd go for either a DLT loader or maybe an AIT loader. DLT gives you
something like 35 Gb uncompressed/tape. AIT is newer technology, with
according to some source the aspirations and potential to surpass DLTs
in capacity and features. For now, IMHO DLT has the advantage that it
is more field proven.

Problems: DLT loaders are expensive, as is the media. I'd checkout
www.overland.com, they make a very nice loader, which is even expandable.
I had the opportunity to dismantle one (Digital resells them) and they
look mechanically very nicely built.

Wilko
---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --