Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:08:17 GMT
From:      Willem van Engen <wvengen@stack.nl>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/71555: how to run matlab on 5.2

>Number:         71555
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       how to run matlab on 5.2
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Following FreeBSD's handbook procedure to get matlab running doesn't work here on 5.2-CURRENT with linux_base-7.1_7, giving many errors like:
  [: -ne: unary operator expected
both trying to start the license manager and matlab. License manager cannot be run, and matlab doesn't start because of that.

>How-To-Repeat:
on 5.2-CURRENT with linux_base-7.1_7, install matlab using the installer. Follow procedure of FreeBSD's handbook for running it on FreeBSD, try to start the license manager (/usr/local/etc/rc.d/flexlm.sh).
>Fix:
0. Skip the handbook's license manager startup section (sorry guys)
1. brandelf -t Linux the binaries in $MATLABROOT/etc/glnx86
2. Remove scripts $MATLABROOT/etc/lm*
3. Create symlink from glnx86/lm_boot to $MATLABROOT/etc/lm_boot.
4. Create new startup script /usr/local/etc/rc.d/flexlm.sh as shown below
5. chmod +x of script. like handbook says
6. Run `/usr/local/etc/rc.d/flexlm.sh start`

[note: it still needs some su-wrapping for running it as a normal user]
I'm not sure if this is the Right Way (tm) to run it, but at least it works, independently from linux_base version (as it completely bypasses shell scripts and starts the binaries directly).

I'll forward this pr to freebsd-emulation too.

--- begin flexlm.sh ---
#!/bin/sh

# Verified for matlab R12
MATLABROOT=/usr/local/matlab
LICENSE=$MATLABROOT/etc/license.dat

case "$1" in
  start)
    # Now start daemon. Logging is still an issue
    if [ -f $MATLABROOT/etc/glnx86/lmgrd ]; then
      $MATLABROOT/etc/glnx86/lmgrd -c $LICENSE && echo 'MATLAB_lmgrd'
    fi
    ;;
  stop)
    # Quit 'm
    if [ -f $MATLABROOT/etc/glnx86/lmdown ]; then
      $MATLABROOT/etc/glnx86/lmdown -c $LICENSE -q && echo 'MATLAB_lmgrd'
    fi
    ;;
  *)
    echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop}"