Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 08:23:52 +0200
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2nd call for reviews and tests: buf->bio patch

-On [20000403 20:05], Matthew Dillon (dillon@apollo.backplane.com) wrote:

>:When I mailed arch@ about this change I got no response from anybody
>:but Bruce.
>:
>:I talked to Kirk about it in Malmø and got his approval.
>:
>:This is not unplanned.
>:
>:This is also not untested, I have two complete prototypes behind me.
>:
>:It is regretable that vinum was broken, and I hope that it is fixed
>:with Alfreds changes, one can't win 100% all the time.
>:
>:Your time would be more productively used by reviewing and testing
>:the patch at http://phk.freebsd.dk/misc than by preaching.
>:
>:As to the debugging of the malloc/free issue in vinum, Sørens suggestion
>:to use releng4 sounds downright sensible to me, and I suggest you do
>:that.
>
>    I don't think these excuses come close to justifying your commits
>    or your timing.

With all due respect, in some cases it does.

-arch: This list was SUPPOSED to be used for this sorta thing.  That
       only bde mailed him and commented, well, tough luck, that's your
       loss guys.  That's what peer review is about.

-Kirk: You paraded often enough about Kirk's approval to do things Matt,
       that point is not valid IMHO.

-prototype: I looked at the prototypes and they looked, in my novice
            eyes, more sane then what we have now.

-vinum: with all respect, but with newbus, almost ALL driver-writers had
        to bite the sour apple in order to get their drivers ready for
	the changes.  And like Poul-Henning and Soren say, use a source
	tree that isn't cvsupped with these changes to chase your bugs
	and fix them and then look at the future again.

Also, when IS the right time?  Judging time and again when somebody does
some earthshaking thing with some old existing API's everybody shouts
nay and boo and hiss, whilst in fact providing little if nothing
productive output in order to substantiate why people are against that
change.  Like I said in another mail, this is CURRENT, things are
expected to break.  You want stability of API's, go 3-STABLE.  You want
a somewhat stable environment, go 4-STABLE.  5 is bleeding edge, have
your bandages ready.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok vd Werven/Asmodai    asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl|freebsd.org]
Documentation nutter/C-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best