Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 09:47:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   repeatable crash with softupdates

I recently enabled softupdates on every filesystem but root.

i can cause a crash by running the x11 version of cvsup to download the
source tree.

this happens just about every time.

i enabled crashdumps to my swap device and ran savecore, but my limited
cluefullness hasn't figured me out a way to actually examine what
happened, all i saw was that the kernel had panic'd from a page fault.

the kernel i'm running is from ~noon yesterday.

what can i do to provide more info about this to the developers?

what information would be useful? (i didn't want to just randomly attach
my config file, dmesg and whatnot without asking first)

also, it seems i have had a bunch of crashes before the softupdates went
into my kernel but these were few and far between ( well every 3-6 days )
although it might been the punks at the office rebooting me for other
stuff. :)

these new crashes are produceable right after a reboot though.

thank you,
-Alfred