Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:58:00 +1100
From:      Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
To:        wanghx916@netscape.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make FreeBSD a Proxy Server with Squid

Thus spake wanghx916@netscape.net (wanghx916@netscape.net):

> Hello, Can anybody tell me how to make my FreeBSD a proxy server with
> Squid. My FreeBSD equiped with two network interface, one connected
> to the Internet, the other one connected with the LAN. I would like
> to make the Internet connection shared by all the machine on the LAN.
> I want to know if I should rebuild my kernel to support IPFW if I use
> the package Squid to be the proxy server, and how to config the Squid
> to make it work correctly. I try to use Squid without rebuild the
> kernel but failed. Thank you.

Please wrap your lines at ~70 characters.

You definitely don't need ipfw support to run squid, although you may
choose to implement it if the machine serves as your LAN's Internet
connection.

The squid.conf.default installed by the package (in
/usr/local/etc/squid) is a good guide. There are heaps of comments in
the config file. If that's not enough, look at
http://squid-docs.sourceforge.net/latest/html/book1.htm

Nick.