Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 1995 08:40:39 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   I need a USENET consultant! :-)

I have this problem.

People expect me to do stuff on USENET, like reply to messages or
moderate the comp.os.freebsd.announce newsgroup (!), and in the case
of the newsgroup at least that's fine.  I want to have some measure of
control over the content, since the main reason I signed up for it was
due to some historical disagreements over comp.os.386bsd.announce's
restrictions vs FreeBSD's traditional stances on things in the past.

The only problem with all of this is that for reasons of dire schedule
constraints, I don't really have the TIME to learn how to muck with
the fiddly little details of getting things like those `Supercedes'
headers right, and whatnot.  People on USENET expect a certain level
of service, and it is fine for them to expect it, but I worry about my
ability to deliver it.  Some background is, perhaps, in order: I
personally BAILED on USENET about 4 years ago ("A hive of wretched
flamers and ruffians as bad as you'll ever find") and only "came back"
about 18 months ago insofar as I was more or less dragged back by a
need to sort of wave the flag and fly the colors in there
occasionally.  I didn't come back happily, and I'd really rather
prefer to just drop USENET again almost entirely.  It's just too much
for me to deal with on top of everything else, and how would you
rather I spent my time - reading mindless diatribes by USENAUTS who've
only just learned which side of the keyboard is the top, or in hacking
on/promoting FreeBSD?

I'd certainly prefer the latter, myself, which is why I'm sending this
plea.  I need someone to interface between myself and USENET - culling
out the occasionally _genuinely interesting_ articles and mailing them
on (or posting them to -hackers when VERY interesting), and ALSO
handling the messy details of passing the "approved"
comp.os.freebsd.announce articles back into the maw of an nntpd
someplace.  It's been so many years since I've last done this that I
don't even *remember* how to do it, and I'm not really all that
interesting in learning now again.  I really just want to be able to
"rubber stamp" the article and send it on to someone else who actually
KNOWS what they're doing and will adjust the headers appropriately (I
know that frequently posted things get different handling and all of
that - ack - don't want to know about it! :-).

Anyway..  I'm not too proud to beg.  Would someone who knows USENET so
well that this poses no significant additional hardship anyway please
please please please step forward and help me with this one?  I think
it's very useful that *some* degree of presence be maintained and I'd
hate to think of dropping out so entirely that I completely lost touch
with that area of the net! :-(

If I could rely on someone to smooth the rougher edges out, it would
really make it possible to still maintain an active presence there
without sacrificing so much of my time (and probably at much better
quality, to boot!).

Thanks!

					Jordan