Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 16:36:00 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Josh MacDonald)
Cc:        imp@village.org, witr@rwwa.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: GNU binutils port

Josh MacDonald stands accused of saying:

> Its getting ridiculous, considering how easy it is to import
> the tree.  NetBSD has it running, why, may I ask, is the 2.2
> tree not tracking gcc-2.7?

Because last time people tried (2.7.2 IIRC), it failed to correctly compile
the kernel, the X servers, and a few other things people threw at it.

2.6.3 may be "old hat", but it works.  I remember being laughed at for
sticking with 1.39 while the world was wailing and gnashing it's teeth
over 2.2 and the grief there.  If it's 2.8 before the major problems are
fixed, I can't see us losing too much sleep 8)