Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 95 17:30:28 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        ache@astral.msk.su (Andrew A. Chernov, Black Mage)
Cc:        stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Localization stuff?

> In message <199501112040.WAA01675@office.elvisti.kiev.ua> Andrew V.
>     Stesin writes:
>
> >	Any pointer to ftp'able Runes UTF coding doco? Samples?
>
> I beleive that Runes comes from Plan9. Lower values corresponds
> ASCII, upper is multibyte chars, don't know more about it.

Check out the standards FAQ on news:comp.std.internat or on
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu.

Also research.att.com and taligent both have code implementations.

I personally am not a big fan of runic encoding.  You shouldn't be
either, unless you use nothing but US ASCII *or* don't care that
your file size is unrelated to the number of characters actually in
a text file.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---