Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 07:00:13 -0700
From:      Gregory Kuhn <gkuhn@leopold.manicmoment.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org

Dear Mark,

	May I recommend running ezmlm as your mailing list software on top of qmail as your mail server software.  ezmlm will handle all the bounces automatically without any assistance from you at all.  You will not be bothered with the bounces, nor will anyone else, except those whose mail is bouncing.  ezmlm can handle mailing lists with 100s of thousands of subscribers and the subscribe/ unsubscribe process is much more straight-forward than it is with majordomo.  Another plus of ezmlm is that it is easy to control the parameters of each individule list, i.e., one list requires all posts be from subscribers only, another list could be configured to allow anyone to post, it is even possible to have an announcement list where people can subscribe but only the moderator can post, as well as moderated post mailing lists.

	I recommend qmail as the MTA as it can handle very large volumes of messages, is very secure against unauthorized relaying, and it interfaces with ezmlm as if the two were written for each other.

Gregory Kuhn

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 11:58:56AM +0000, Mark Murray wrote:
> Lupe Christoph writes:
> > We had this discussion a while ago. There is no mailing list that
> > provides qualified answers to security-related questions. You are
> > fighting windmills. These questions will come to this mailing list, as
> > long as there is no freebsd-security-questions.
>
> I've been tolerating certain QnA sessions as long as they were
> short and somewhat security focussed, with no answer already
> available.
>
> > Sorry, I have no idea what needs to be done to start such a mailing
> > list. Can people more versed in the FreeBSD mailing list procedures
> > please explain how such a mailing list can be started?
>
> Sure. :-)
>
> We are looking at more up-to-date mailing list software. Watch this spot.
> I certainly intend to set up a security-questions list.
>
> The need for new software came after I set myself up as list-owner of
> this list. 600-700 bounces _per_message_ was not funny. I've manually
> removed the more chronic bouncers, and now it its a more reasonable
> <100 bounces per posting :-(.
>
> > PS: I have to admit that I'm always confused by the difference in
> >     policies between debian-security and freebsd-security. The Debian
> >     crowd welcomes all questions related to security while the freebsd
> >     crowd seems to be obsessed with policies.
>
> We are not Debian. I can't speak for them. In our case, security@
> was a virtual clone of questions@, and most of the security folks
> that I know either unsubscribed or scanned the list very infrequently.
>
> I do see the need for a questions list, but I _don't_ want
> yet-another-noise-channel. We have enough of those already.

> --
> Mark Murray
> iumop ap!sdn w,I idlaH

Gregory Scott Kuhn