Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:03:56 -0700
From:      Jason DiCioccio <jd@epylon.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apache 1.3.26 port

On 6/19/02 4:00 PM, "Bill Moran" <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:

> Jonathan Arnold wrote:
>>> I would consider this semi-correct, at least from my experience.  The data
>>> directories ARE seperated out.  Notice that there is a data.default and a
>>
>> I, in fact, just went through this and would beg to differ. It is not
>> very kind to delete a complete directory tree without any warning, either
>> when you install (something like "data.default *WILL BE REPLACED ON
>> UPGRADE*") or it should check on upgrade and not remove it if it is there.
>> I lost my entire web site with nary a peep, and luckily had the most
>> important
>> stuff on another computer.
>
> This is outrageous.  Have you ever heard of backups?  I can't believe you're
> blaming loss of data on this.  As a system administrator you should be backing
> up your data on a regular schedule.  And you should ALWAY back up your data
> before ANY upgrade.  That's just proper procedure.

I think there are 2 issues here.  One is that he did not do a backup, that
is for sure.  However, there is an issue with the port as far as I am
concerned as well.  The port shouldn't be rm -rf'ing anything.  It should be
going by the plist if anything at all.  This way programs like pkg_deinstall
pkg_delete can do their jobs correctly.  For example, pkg_deinstall will not
remove a file if the checksum does not match the checksum that it had upon
installation.  This would have saved everyone a lot of trouble and is really
just the correct way to make a port or a package the last time I checked.
Granted pkg_delete, iirc, would have deleted some of the files, like
index.html because I don't believe it checks checksums before removing
files.  However the consequences would have been much less severe.

Doesn't this seem reasonable?

Cheers,
-JD-