Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:41:59 -0700
From:      "Garrett Cooper" <yanefbsd@gmail.com>
To:        "Nathan Whitehorn" <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        powerpc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: G5 boots multi-user!

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Nathan Whitehorn
<nwhitehorn@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Garrett Cooper wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Nathan Whitehorn
>> <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> There appears to be a bug in NFS not using using copyin() to get the
>>> hostname from its arguments when a mount is being updating. Fixing that
>>> with
>>> an #if 0 sledgehammer produces the following patch:
>>>
>>> http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/nfs_vfsops.diff
>>>
>>> Combine that with the main G5 patch:
>>>
>>> http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/g5.diff
>>>
>>> This produces a system that will boot multiuser on my iMac G5. It still
>>> has
>>> plenty of bugs, to whit:
>>>
>>> 1) The system is extremely slow. Measured CPU clock speed is 50 MHz,
>>> which
>>> is about what it feels like. I think it is in a low-power mode, but IBM
>>> docs
>>> say it can only run at 1800 and 900 MHz. So this is probably an
>>> inefficiency
>>> in the MMU module.
>>>
>>> 2) There remain several nasty panics. The system is not especially stable
>>> yet.
>>> -Nathan
>>
>> Nathan,
>>     Let me know if / when you need to test out some changes on a
>> Powermac G5 UP system.
>> Cheers,
>> -Garrett
>
> Could you test out the patch at
> http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/g5.diff? No other patches are required
> (see my other email). Thanks,
> -Nathan

Nathan,
      It's been a while since you've sent the email out, but I just
wanted to let you know that I can't even seem to get a Powerpc
snapshot CD of 8-CURRENT or 7-RELENG to boot on my Mac box --
basically the console "dies" after the first initial set of messages
come up from the kernel.
      The input right prior to this line (DDB blah, KGDB blah) is
displayed, but this isn't:

Copyright (c) 1992-2008 The FreeBSD Project.
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
        The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #0: Mon Aug 18 21:49:28 PDT 2008

      I tried the June and July 8-CURRENT snapshot CDs and the July
7-RELENG one.
      Do you try and grab any params from OF by chance? My settings
are intentionally goofed up for a reason :) (I typically boot from a
target firewire drive attached to the box).
      I'll gladly give you more specs if you need them, but it's a G5
1.8GHz UP with 4.0GB DDR2 667 RAM.
Thanks,
-Garrett