Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2013 17:02:00 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, "current@FreeBSD.org" <current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] No more pkg_install on HEAD by default

On Jul 14, 2013, at 11:42 PM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:52:19PM +0000, Teske, Devin wrote:
>> On Jul 12, 2013, at 4:16 PM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>>=20
>>> Hi,
>>>=20
>>> I have just committed (r253305) a change the make pkg_install not being=
 built
>>> and installed by default on HEAD.
>>>=20
>>> If you are still relying on it, be careful and add WITH_PKGTOOLS=3Dyes =
in your
>>> src.conf(5)
>>=20
>> I think while a good move, we need to allow a window of development to r=
e-work other HEAD components.
>>=20
>> It might also be worth developing a lint-tool to make sure we get every =
last instance (both from C code and sh code) within our base before we moti=
on to cut a release with this change.
>>=20
>> I for one am effected and will have to change things.
>>=20
>> Can you point us at a guide (or even better, a Wiki) that can smooth the=
 process?
>=20
> I have already pointed you to such resources a couple of time before you =
started
> working on the package management part of bsdconfig.

Respectfully... look at the reply-text. I didn't mention bsdconfig. I was a=
sking in-general for others. I think we're all in agreement that a transiti=
on Wiki does not exist. I'm not upset that the conversation was turned into=
 a bsdconfig-specific one (on the contrary, elated)... but for the very rea=
son that you had already given me pointers in the past, I did not come righ=
t out and say "hey, could you re-tell me everything you told me before beca=
use I've forgotten most of it?" but instead I pointed out that we don't hav=
e a transition Wiki.

So I do supremely apologize if I ask a question that you already answered i=
n the past.

My excuse is that you pointed me to such resources almost 10 months ago. An=
d for that entire 10 months, I'd been working on the package management par=
t of bsdconfig. I *just* got my head above water and then it was announced =
that pkg_install is going away, and what perfect timing -- having just fini=
shed the pkg_install-based framework for which I plan to base the pkgng int=
egration.

> May I remember you that at
> this time I have recommanded you to directly work on the pkgng version?

This comment doesn't seem to be related to any of the reply-text above it. =
I'll assume it's tainted by the other messages in this thread. For bsdconfi=
g, let me just re-iterate...

+ bsdconfig is the tool to replace "sysinstall configPackages".
+ It will not do anything "weird" or "strange" or "out of place" **
+ It will try to be an example as well as a re-usable and extendable tool

(and on the back of those last two comments, again, bsdconfig pkgng integra=
tion is not associated with any funky handling of package MANIFEST files or=
 any black-magic voodoo that I do at $work with "pkgbase").

** Unless a UI enhancement can be made by subverting a decidedly non-UI too=
l to provide more feedback than simply blocking on an opaque process.

> I have
> also explained you 2 or 3 times at least what is a catalog in pkgng how i=
t works
> what pkg query and pkg rquery will give you as a script writter.
>=20

Again, apologies if I ask a question that *seems* like it's been asked befo=
re.

And it would be a lie for me to say I've forgotten *everything* from our pr=
ior conversations. However, I may repeat some questions as it was almost 10=
 months ago that I was last looking at pkgng (getting "bsdconfig packages" =
done for 9.2-R was a *lot* of work and it depleted my brain of pretty much =
everything else for that entire time -- except for $work of course, but eve=
ry night for 10 months, 7 days a week, I ate, drank, slept, and smoked "bsd=
config packages").

If I could recount something from our conversations from 10 months ago... I=
 would say that you and I agreed that I needed to get the framework done an=
d that I could best do that unencumbered if it were pkg_install based. Well=
 that's been done (it was a hell of a lot of work, but I got it done).

I'm saying that one sole request (to get the framework ready for pkgng) is =
now done and we need to reconvene to take the next step.
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.