Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 1996 06:01:31 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: clean install won't boot from hard drive...

"Marc G. Fournier" wrote in message ID
<Pine.NEB.3.93.960418163509.6921K-100000@freebsd.ki.net>:
> On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Gary Palmer wrote:
> 	Nope, doesn't even reach the boot prompt, which is why I
> think I might have screwed up the Boot Mgr somehow :(
>
> 	Root is 30meg, like the rest of my machines.
>
> 	Don't sure if it makes any difference, but its a 1522 controller
> that I'm using...

>From the handbook:

  o  Adaptec AIC-6360 based boards, which includes the AHA-152x and
     SoundBlaster SCSI cards.

     Note: You cannot boot from the SoundBlaster cards as they have no
     on-board BIOS, which is necessary for mapping the boot device into
     the system BIOS I/O vectors.  They are perfectly usable for
     external tapes, CDROMs, etc, however.  The same goes for any other
     AIC-6x60 based card without a boot ROM.  Some systems DO have a
     boot ROM, which is generally indicated by some sort of message when
     the system is first powered up or reset.  Check your system/board
     documentation for more details.

Does it have a boot ROM?

Gary