Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 14:58:16 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        IBS / Andre Oppermann <andre@pipeline.ch>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG, andreas@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: does sendmail need relsover lib of the bind version in use ?

IBS / Andre Oppermann wrote:

> Andreas Klemm wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 14, 1998 at 09:37:12PM +0200, IBS / Andre Oppermann wrote:
> > >
> > > If you would like to use bind8 as resolver then you have to install
> > > bind8 first, then 'make world' and finally compile sendmail.
> >                ^^^^  ^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Hmm. bind8 port would install everything under /usr/local.
>
> Yup, thats what I said. Your Q was to update 'some non FreeBSD
> machines'.
>
> > So how a make world would be affected by libs under /usr/local ??
>
> To use bind8 as resolver in FBSD don't use the ports, get the tar and
> do it the 'real' way by fetching the bind sources, untar and 'make
> install' with the stock Makefile. After that 'make world'.

	The BIND 8.1.x sources place the libs under /usr/local. They also
include instructions for how to link binaries against them. I think
people are confusing "the resolver" with "resolving nameserver."  Since
sendmail doesn't address resolver queries to the nameserver, as long as
you have a functional resolver library (which all freebsd and all other
systems I'm familiar with do out of the box) you can build and run
sendmail without difficulty regardless of the presence, abscence or
version of a resolving nameserver on your system.

Good luck,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest