Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 19:44:05 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        Kristian =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F6derholm?= <trasher@home.se>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux and FreeBSD

At 23:17 11-06-2000 +0200, Kristian S=F6derholm wrote:
>Is FreeBSD like Linux at all or is it a hole new systemfor me?

Yes on both counts. FreeBSD is Unix, Linux is a Unix clone, so there are
many similarities. But there are differences too, especially when you first
install the system. Once you have it installed, it looks pretty much the
same: You can run the same shell, for example. The directory structure is
different (more logical, IMHO), but you'll get used to it.

Note also that you can run most of Linux software directly, without
recompiling, in the Linux "emulation" mode. I put emulation in quotes
because FreeBSD actually runs like Linux in that mode, except, it usually
works faster.

Another big difference is in installing additional programs. Under Linux
you typically have to download it from somewhere, study the makefile, then
compile it and install it yourself.

In FreeBSD you will find the ports system very, very nice. All you have to
do is type something like:

	cd /usr/ports/somedirectory/someprogram
	make install

The system will automatically download everything you need, make it, and
install it. It will even install any libraries the program may require: A
total miracle!

Cheers,
Adam