Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 07:02:02 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Konrad Heuer" <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Observations from Germany

From what I've seen the situation in OZ (at least in the deep north) isn't
much different to that
in Germany .... apart from the international online website promotions of
FreeBSD / Sun / SCO
etc there doesn't appear to be a significant effort at getting "proper"
unixes out into the real world. Probably the only operating system (other
than Microsoft) seeing a commercial thrust here is the
dreaded RedHat, which is seen advertized more and more in junk mail /
newspaper inserts /
computer retail stores & even K-Mart. There are quite a few unix related
mailing lists, typically
asssociated with some university or other, but even here there seems to be a
definite leaning
toward the linuxes :( ..... thankfully at least some of the "mexicans" have
seen the light as there
are at least a couple active FreeBSD groups in Sydney & Melbourne