Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 2020 17:15:26 +1000
From:      Graham Menhennitt <graham@menhennitt.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Traffic "corruption" in 12-stable

On 27/7/20 3:00 pm, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> 27.07.2020 5:16, Joe Clarke wrote:
>
>> About two weeks ago, I upgraded from the latest 11-stable to the lates=
t 12-stable.  After that, I periodically see the network throughput come =
to a near standstill.  This FreeBSD machine is an ESXi VM with two interf=
aces.  It acts as a router.  It uses vmxnet3 interfaces for both LAN and =
WAN.  It runs ipfw with in-kernel NAT.  The LAN side uses a bridge with v=
mx0 and a tap0 L2 VPN interface.  My LAN side uses an MTU of 9000, and my=
 vmx1 (WAN side) uses the default 1500.

>> Besides seeing massive packet loss and huge latency (~ 200 ms for on-L=
AN ping times), I know the problem has occurred because my lldpd reports:

>> Jul 26 15:47:03 namale lldpd[1126]: frame too short for tlv received o=
n bridge0

>> And if I turn on ipfw verbose messages, I see tons of:
>>
>> Jul 26 16:02:23 namale kernel: ipfw: pullup failed
>>
>> This leads to me to believe packets are being corrupted on ingress.  I=
=E2=80=99ve applied all the recent iflib changes, but the problem persist=
s. What causes it, I don=E2=80=99t know.

>> The only thing that changed (and yes, it=E2=80=99s a big one) is I upg=
raded to 12-stable.  Meaning, the rest of the network infra and topology =
has remained the same.  This did not happen at all in 11-stable.