Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 12:32:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        "Mark S. Velasquez" <msv@arisia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: **News not expiring**

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Mark S. Velasquez wrote:

>  Yeah I know I'm being a pain, but ...
>
>  My News Server running on FreeBSD 2.1.5 is not expiring news correctly(in
> fact I've never been able to get it follow the expire.ctl correctly).
>
>   After struggling to get this server to honor the expiration times, I
> decided to scrap the history* files, newfs the /var/spool/news and start
> again(of course I had to recover from a boot disk failure as well!); I
> assumed my problems stem from a corrupted history database.
>
> Anyway, my news spool still fills up. I've set alt.binaries.* to expire in
> three days, however, there are definitely articles in the alt.binaries that
> are five days old.

News spools always fill up.  With the exception of the error detailed
below WRT trying to make news in deleted newsgroups expire right away,
your expire.ctl looks fine.

Are you sure the articles in alt.binaries.* which are older than 3 +
however long it is since your last expire started (remember, if you set
things to expire in 3 days and run expire once a day then by the time
expire gets to running, you will have four days of news, of which expire
will delete one) aren't crossposted?  Since crossposted articles use hard
or symbolic links, expire keeps all links until the one with the longest
expire time should be deleted, then deletes them all.  There is a patch
around somewhere to change this behavior.

>  The expire.ctl is as follows :
>
> /remember/:14
> #
> # use expire to remove deleted newsgroups immediately
> #
> *:A:0:0:0
> *:U:0:7:31
> *:M:0:14:365
> #  keep for 7 days
> *:A:1:7:7

You are saying:
	- remove all right now
	- except for all unmoderated groups, leave them 7 days
	- except for moderated groups, leave them 14 days
	- except for all groups, leave them 7 days.

Your last line overrides the previous three.