Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 13:39:52 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux vs FreeBSD comparison - it's time, I think!

Ron says...

>Sounds fine to me, but I think we should make an effort to be absolutely
>fair and to show some integrity. All numbers should be verified with
>2 or more people, and pointers to the results should be maintained. If we
>get a rep for playing fast and loose with the facts then we have a
>problem. If we get a rep for being honest and being willing to give linux
>its due (and it does have its good points) then we get to be an honest
>broker.

Its very difficult to be objective with benchmarks because they are so
highly dependent on a particular piece of hardware or driver. For example
whenever someone mentions FreeBSD vs BSDI some banana pulls
out a benchmark with dual buslogic EISA adapters where BSDI may
be superior, when the same test with an Adaptec PCI controller
might be completely the opposite. Its almost impossible to have a
single benchmark comparison for unix systems. You need to chose
several "reasonable" systems with different hardware and show several
benchmarks with each.....

Dennis

Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX