Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:41:42 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg-bsd@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Inge Thorin Eidsther <webdude@phreaker.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Freecom Traveller II CD-RW supported in 4.6?

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Inge Thorin Eidsther wrote:

> I wonder if anyone has had success in getting the new
> external Freecom Traveller II 16X/10X/24X CD-RW drive
> (PCCard version) to work under FreeBSD?

I have the Traveller II DVD/CD-RW drive, and various cables:

   - PCMCIA cable from an old Traveller-I drive, plus adapter cable
     to attach it to Traveller-II
   - USB2 cable
   - Firewire cable.

The PCMCIA cable works fine, used with 'burncd' for writing.

The firewire cable probably works OK - reading was no problem, writing was
giving me I/O errors, but I later discovered that the CD-RW media I was
using for my tests was dud.  I was using cdrecord for writing.  The
firewire driver logs lots of error messages, but most of these appear
harmless and do not affect operation.  Behaviour was much the same under
-current or -stable.

The USB2 cable - used in USB1 mode as my laptops have only USB1 ports -
worked to some extent but gave various lockups and errors, differently
under -current and -stable but neither really working well.  Again, this
might have been made worse by my use of defective media for testing: I
need to repeat my tests to get more useful results.

> I plan to use it with cdrecord on a laptop computer
> (running FreeBSD 4.6 RELEASE) of the following make:

The PCMCIA card makes the drive appear as ATAPI, so you would need the
atapi-cam patches if you really need to use cdrecord - using burncd is
more obvious here.

The USB and Firewire drivers attach through CAM by default, so you can
immediately use cdrecord with them.