Date:      Wed, 17 Aug 2005 07:12:47 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@freebsdmall.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [headsup] new article: How To Choose The Version Of FreeBSD That Is Right For You

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 02:57:16PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> +1
>
> This question belongs to the general category of things that are bound
> to be asked by any newcomer.
>
> 	- Where do I get it?
> 	- What version is ok for me?
> 	- How do I install it?

However, to me, the document doesn't seem to be written for a
newcomer.  After reading the article, it still doesn't answer the
question, "So does that mean I should install 5.4 or 4.11 if I want a
really conservative system and I don't need any bells and whistles".
Most large sites I know of are still running 4.X, including the
FreeBSD cluster.  The document talks about release engineering,
branches, and lots of other topics that are interesting to many
people, but not to a newcomer just trying to figure out which version
she should install for her needs.

It's a nice addition to the doc set, and to the release engineering
docs.  I thought it would be appropriate as a link on the
releases.html page, beneath the links to 4.11 and 5.4, but it won't
really help a user choose between those two so I don't think it works
well there.

In order to work there, I think there needs to be a section of the
document that describes the broad features of 4.x, 5.x, 6.x, and 7.x.
Maybe a feature comparison matrix with summary recommendations.

	- Murray