Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2000 15:49:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <doug@safeport.com>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   How do I upgrade from 3.X -> 4.X?

I was looking for the best way to have a relatively non-technical
coworker maintain FreeBSD on a laptop with small (2GB) disk. In reading
"How do I upgrade from 3.X -> 4.X?" in the FAQ section I found:

   A: We strongly recommend that you use binary snapshots to do
      this. 4-STABLE snapshots are available at  releng4.FreeBSD.org.

      If you wish to upgrade using source, please see the FreeBSD
      Handbook for more information.

      Upgrading via source is never recommended for new users, and
      upgading from 3.X -> 4.X is even less so; make sure you have read
      the instructions carefully before attempting to upgrade via source
      this!

However from ftp://releng4.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/README-40.TXT:

       FreeBSD 4.1  ---  SNAPSHOT Version

       This is a snapshot release of the 4.1.1-stable (RELENG_4) branch
       which is currently moving towards the release of 4.2.
                      :
                      :
       TARGET AUDIENCE:
       ----------------

       This release is aimed primarily at early-adopters and the various
       other folks who want to get involved with the ongoing development
       of FreeBSD and are willing to deal with a few bumps in the road.
       We do our best to ensure that each snapshot works as advertised,
       but tracking -stable is a process which sometimes has its off
       days.
                      :
                      :

Was there a change in philosophy?

Two spelling knits:

  1) upgading ==> upgrading
  2) ...the instructions carefully before attempting to upgrade via
     source this! (probably delete this??)

From the README file I would think the best way for non-technical people
would be to install 4.x from CD-ROM, FTP, or whatever and then put local
etc changes back by hand.

It seems to me, the best answer to my real question is to maintain the
source tree on a larger system, maintain that with cvsup and NFS mount
the source tree to build and install packages etc.

Two questions: if this is correct, is there some guidance on doing this?
If not, I would be happy to write one to contribute. I would be happy to
take a shot at this regardless of the proper answer to the question.

_____
Douglas Denault
doug@safeport.com
Voice: 301-469-8766