Date:      Mon, 8 May 2000 17:49:12 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, FreeBSD-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for bootable Vinum file systems: please review

On Sunday,  7 May 2000 at 21:23:51 -0600, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>>> The right way to do it is probably to link the "struct disk"s
>>> registered by the drivers with disk_creat() into a list which can
>>> be searched.
>>
>> This is pretty much what struct devstat does, except that it's more
>> global.  Why should we maintain two lists, just because one is
>> primarily intended for statistics?
>
> Because it was only intended for statistics.

It by chance it proves to be ideally suited for something else, should
we limit ourselves to the imagination of the designer?

> My belief, and this is probably shared by phk, is that the handlers
> for different partition types should be "executed" or "attached to"
> as those partitions are found.  A scan of a list is only necessary
> in the event of a handler being registered after a partition is
> found.  Although devstat may suffice for the latter, it was not
> designed to handle the former.  'GEOM' is what you want although I
> don't know how soon phk can provide it to you.

As I've said, I'm quite prepared to do that.

>>> Another thing that is ugly about this is the kludge in the partition
>>> table.  I'd rather see us finally bite the bullet and move to an
>>> extensible disklabel scheme.
>>
>> Again, may I take this as a criticism of the infrastructure rather
>> than the fix?
>
> I'd rather see Vinum be the champion of improved infrastructure than
> another reason to sustain the status quo.

I didn't go into details about this one because I'm still thinking
about it.  I'm certainly thinking about viable alternatives, but it
depends on how central Vinum should be.

> One other comment about the patches... they violate existing style
> (and style(9)) in vfs_conf.c.

Can you be more specific?  Offline would be fine.

Greg