Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2013 15:18:52 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recipie for CPU souffle'

On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 20:02:02 -0700, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> I've now installed mbmon and xmbmon and will be watching the CPU temp
> closely for awhile.

I have xmbmon running on the lower left of my screen, together
with xcpufreq and xload. Just for my information. :-)

> I really wish that one or the other of those tools allowed setting a
> threshold CPU temp, beyond which the tool would emit an ear piercing
> alarm via the motherboard speaker... you know.. in case the regular
> external stereo speakers are turned off.
>
> <question>
> What *is* the best way to achieve the above effect, i.e. to arrange
> for the machine to scream for help in case it is getting too hot?

If I remember correctly, that should be healthd?

Additionally, you can probably enable CPUFREQ (if that's the
name of the feature I'm refering to) support in the kernel
configuration, even though it's mostly directed at mobile
use (laptops and such).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany