Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 23:10:07 -0800
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@flnet.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Matrix splash screen

On the subject of Re: The Matrix splash screen, Kris Kennaway stated:

> Awesome - are you able to explain a bit more about the setup you used to do
> this - what software did you use, etc?

Basically we used a collection of 32 Dual Proc P-II/450 systems w/ 1GB of
memory and 9GB Ultra2/LVD drives (Dell Precision 410's), as well as 40 MIPS
R10k processors (the P-II's in general outperformed the fastest R10k).  We
used Pixar's Renderman under Linux emulation (yeech, maybe next time I can get
them to give me a native FreeBSD port) on the FreeBSD systems.  With the
exception of some wackyness caused when our renders started to exceed 1GB of
memory (FreeBSD got real grumpy then) things were pretty darn smooth.  Easily
as good as the IRIX machines, and infinatly more simple to maintain IMHO.

> Have you thought about preparing a press-release for when the movie comes
> out to do a bit of advocacy? Lots of people seemed to be impressed by the
> fact that that Penguin OS was used for the iceberg film - I think this could
> be a good "jewel" in the FreeBSD crown as an example of a real-world success
> story.

I'd be willing to work with someone (Jordan?) on doing something like this,
sure..

-Crh

       Charles Henrich       Manex Visual Effects       henrich@flnet.com

                       http://orbit.flnet.com/~henrich