Date:      Thu, 1 May 2014 23:06:33 +0200
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@getmail.no>
To:        freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: crochet - why does it (try to) change files in /usr/src?

On Thu, 1 May 2014 09:45:58 -0700
Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com> wrote:

>=20
> On Apr 30, 2014, at 3:56 PM, Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@getma=
il.no> wrote:
>=20
> > =3D=3D=3D> lib/libexpat (cleandir)
> > rm -f bsdxml.h bsdxml_external.h libbsdxml.3.gz libbsdxml.3.cat.gz
> > rm: bsdxml.h: Permission denied
> > rm: bsdxml_external.h: Permission denied
> > *** Error code 1
> >=20
> > Stop.
> > make[4]: stopped in /usr/src/lib/libexpat
> > (I wasn't running crochet as root, and I suspect it is the reason for=
 failure)
> >=20
> > Question 1: it look to me like the script is trying to remove stuff (=
files) from /usr/src. Why is it doing that?
>=20
> It=E2=80=99s not.
>=20
> The =E2=80=98buildworld=E2=80=99 target is cleaning the appropriate /us=
r/obj directories in case there was a previous build there.

Ok. Given that the appropriate obj directories (in this case) is in the .=
/work sub directory of
# pwd
/usr/home/tingo/work/crochet-freebsd

should buildworld really try to touch /usr/obj at all?

>=20
> > Question 2: why does crochet need root?
>=20
> As for requiring root:

This question has resulted in an interesting discussion; it seems like th=
is might change in the future (given time and manpower).

Thanks to everyone for the answers.
--=20
Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@getmail.no>