Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 14:30:36 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dirpref code on snapshots

--==_Exmh_-1552234592P

If memory serves me right, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> --dc+cDN39EJAMEtIO
>
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 02:38:52PM -0600, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> > I was looking through the mailing list archives today and came across
> > some posts that said the dirpref code changes did not make it to the
> > snapshot server, as of 10/20/2001.  I installed some new machines with
> > the 10/25/2001 snapshot.  Does anyone know if the dirpref code had made
> > it into this snapshot?
>
> Presumably the snapshot server builds whatever code is in CVS as of
> that date; that's how it's always worked before.

It's been a little while, but I seem to remember that the CVS checkout
had some problems for a brief time.  (Unrelated to the disk full
condition that jkh fixed today.)

Hmmm.  OK, the release notes lag the actual source code changes.
Presuming that whatever problem affected both the source code and the
release notes, one could check the release notes on the snapshot to see
if they mention the new dirpref algorithm.  That should be a necessary
(but not sufficient) condition.

One could also root around the files in src/sys/ufs/ffs/* (or the output
of "strings /kernel") and compare version numbers with the commit log
messages in CVSweb.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1552234592P

--==_Exmh_-1552234592P--