Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 2010 02:59:29 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@buffalo.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, re@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tools/ directory is missing on recent install media.

Hi Ken, cc list
Ken Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 17:38 +0200, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > Hi Hackers,
> > FreeBSD install media has lost the tools/ directory from recent CDs & DVD=
> s:
> >=20
> > Quoting
> >   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-pre.h=
> tml
> > 	... to resize your partitions and make space for FreeBSD. The
> > 	tools directory on the CDROM contains two free software
> > 	tools which can carry out this task, namely FIPS and PResizer
> > 	PartitionMagic and GParted are known to work on NTFS. GParted
> > 	is available on a number of Live CD Linux distributions,
> > 	such as SystemRescueCD.
> >=20
> > There is no tools/ directory on recent FreeBSD CDROM disc1.iso & dvd1.iso
> >     ( or on memstick.img, no suprise as recent )
> >     Maybe an older disc1.iso ran out of room,
> >     & tools/ got dropped & forgotten, not replaced for next release ?
>
> It wasn't a size issue that made me stop bothering to put the tools/
> directory on, it was more an issue of the tools just not being current
> any more and not having an idea of what to replace them with.  At
> the point I stopped putting them on the media the world had gotten
> to the point any tools that can't handle NTFS were useless.

Ah, OK.

> > re@,=20
> > 	I suggest consider regularising [scripts ?] to avoid
> > 	inconsistent prepend of .../FreeBSD-... to some image names.
>
> FreeBSD- is consistently prepended to all the images that have been
> generated past the date we decided to start prepending FreeBSD- to
> the image names.  Images that were generated before we decided
> to start prepending FreeBSD- to the image names consistently do
> not have FreeBSD- prepended to them...  :-)

OK :-)

> > dvd1.iso script author,
> > 	Please consider adding tools/
> > 	We might currently be losing some new people, tempted to
> > 	try BSD, who need to first download a Linux image with disk
> > 	partition shrinker (to run under Linux or MS, whatever),
> > 	who then may think:
> > 		 "Why now dowload a BSD DVD too, Let's continue
> > 		 installing with this Linux DVD in the drive."
>
> It won't happen in time for 8.1 but I'll try to invest some time
> in digging up reasonable replacements for the tools that had been
> there.  Thanks for passing on your friend's suggestion.

Thanks to Gary Jennejohn for finding the URL :-)

I removed the 80G NTFS & installed another larger disc (dmesg
success report sent to re@).
If I learn NTFS crunchers, & have useful comments I'll email you notes.
Thanks Ken !

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
	Mail plain text.  Not HTML, Not quoted-printable, Not Base64.