Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 1998 11:56:50 +0800
From:      Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        shocking@bandicoot.prth.tensor.pgs.com
Subject:   Re: sendfile() API?

There was a discussion a while ago about how sendfile (as implemented on NT)
was a BadThing(tm). One guy came up with what can only be described as an I/O
interpreter, where the kernel provides a facility such that you can load up a
description of what you want done with the data. His first name was Chuck, and
he came up with quite an interesting thesis, implementing his code under
NetBSD. The problem is that sendfile is unsufficiently general, and probably
wont cope with things like network type changes, et cetera.

	Stephen
--
  The views expressed above are not those of PGS Tensor.

    "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
     the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
     this is not true."            Robert Wilensky, University of California