Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 13:19:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   More nfs issues against -current

Hi,

   A few days ago I posted about nfs v2 vs. nfs v3 and some serious
performance degradation. This is against the lastest -current source.

   Well, for the last few days, I've been running my current box with
-2 on my mount points. Today, I tried to copy some seme-large files
to my machine, and the system is putting the following out onto the
console:

nfs server netapp01:/home: not responding
Aug 15, 12:54:41 mrose /kernel: nfs server netapp01:/home: not responding
nfs server netapp01:/home: is alive again
Aug 15, 12:55:17 mrose /kernel: nfs server netapp01:/home: is alive again

   This has been going on now for about 2 hours. The netapp01 machine
is fine. I can copy the files in question to my HP workstation, or my
NT workstation, without any problems. ie: under hpux:

jwd %timex cp X33* /tmp

real       55.02
user        0.15
sys         6.43

   So, nfs v3 locks up for 30 minute intervals on me, and v2 appears
to "flakey".

   Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be, or where
I should start looking?

Thanks,
John
--