Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 15:18:01 +0200
From:      Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
To:        Nils Holland <nils@daemon.tisys.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The road ahead?

--fUYQa+Pmc3FrFX/N

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 12:49:09AM +0200, Nils Holland wrote:

Hi,

First of all, congrats, funniest thing I've read in months :)

> [...]
> "e-commerce", "e-business", "e-book" and so on. Hell, this made me sick -=
> always thought any sane business man would actually have brains - back in
> the mid-90s, however, this didn't seem to be the case, as even a product
> called "e-shit" would probably have been successful back then. (Note that
> nobody would have asked what kind of product that actually is - as look as
> it starts with e- it must be good).

Well, it seems the suits learned the lesson the hard way. Even with lots
of VC cash I doubt you could sell something called e-shit :-) Well,
maybe Bill Gates could ;-)

You are right about the dot-bomb thing, just have a quick look at
www.fuckedcompany.com and how things have changed since '97 or so. One
fine example is Eazel, they burned $11M of VC cash and never made a
single dollar, not that their product (Nautilus) is bad, just they never
had a (serious) business model.

> wouldn't make much sense. If a 500 Mhz machine sits 90% idle while someone
> writes a letter of surfs the web, then why should he upgrade to a 2000 Mhz
> one?

Microsoft has taken care of that, and you need a more powerful computer
for each release of Windows, Office, etc.

> Bill Gates released Windows, and - hell - now every idiot could
> point-and-click! Early Windows, up to and including 3.1 was not very nice
> (I could also use swear words at this point), so a *new* version of Windo=
ws
> followed, called Windows 95. Of course, people had to buy this stuff, and

Create an idiot proof OS and the world will create a better idiot. Here
I see people tend to either think that computers are a tool and should
be accesible to everyone, or, like a friend of mine says: an internet
license should be required. I partially agree that people should know a
bit of what they're doing when they carelessly plug their computer to
the net. I think we're all a bit tired of apache logs filled with nimda,
code red, etc attacks. IMHO this is the fault of not only OS vendors but
sometimes the press too, who create a false impression that security is
something secondary.

> And suddenly - BANG! Seems that the computer industry has nothing to offer
> beyond that. And that's why it's stuck, having financial problems.

My fastest computer is a dual pIII 550Mhz, slow compared to today's
standards (2Ghz, anyone?), yet this box builds world in less than
40mins, even with me doing other work. Unfortunately the Mhz war between
Intel and AMD hasn't done anything good for most people's needs, I'd
rather have a 500Mhz cpu that doesn't need a monster fan+heatsink (yes
AMD, if I want a room heater I'll buy one :) than a 2Ghz cpu that sits
idle all the time. Motorola seems to be doing it right, their processors
need far less power, I might even consider getting a ppc board some day.

> While the performance of silicon technology may be increasing by whatever
> insane factor every year, I don't see too many occasions where such

I've also noticed this in the graphics arena. Have you guys seen the
latest card from Matrox? 80 million transistors. Heck, my Amiga's 68040
barely has 1.2 million :) It's getting crazy. Fortunately it seems that
the gfx guys start focusing on other than
how-much-Mpixels/sec-can-I-fill.

Someone else has mentioned the palm devices. As a Palm owner I have to
say I'm very happy with it. I'm used to grafitti and like it.

Just my 0.02EUR
--=20
        Miguel Mendez - flynn@energyhq.homeip.net
        GPG Public Key :: http://energyhq.homeip.net/files/pubkey.txt