Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 2015 15:50:32 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Ren=E9_Ladan?= <r.c.ladan@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-translators@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PO translations of books

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015, René Ladan wrote:

>>> I just tried that with the FDP Primer, which consists of multiple XML
>>> files. It looks like 'make po' does it job fine (with some patches to
>>> doc.docbook.mk from wblock) but 'make tran' writes everything into
>>> book.xml instead of preserving the original file structure (in which
>>> book.xml contains mostly references to the other files).
>>>
>>> This would probably not matter in case we consider the generated
>>> book.xml as an intermediate file.
>>

>> Right.  And it is pretty much required for the PO process.  The only way to
>> extract a PO is to "normalize" the original XML into a single file, which
>> includes all the chapter files (which are entities themselves).
>>
>> I don't think we can keep the original structure, but yes, if we consider
>> the generated XML file as an intermediate, we don't have to worry about the
>> format of that file.
>>
> One thing though: the final makes traverses through all the referenced
> XML files, because Makefile still says so, so that file has to be
> modifed too.

The Makefile in the translated directory, right?  Yes.  I included a
couple of examples in the PO chapter, but that is something we probably
should expand.  Tell people what it needs and why.  SRCS can be just the
one file, I'm not certain it needs to even list the images unless there
a translated images.  (That has not happened yet, ever, as far as I
know.)