Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:20:23 -0600 (GMT)
From:      Sean Welch <welchsm@earthlink.net>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        grehan@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re: Also interested in testing

Please forgive my ignorance -- my understanding of the boot
process is minimal at best.  I think you mean that you have
the program loader (found under /boot on a FreeBSD system)
in the OS X partition (slice?).  You then run that from
OF and tell it where the FreeBSD slice is so that it can
boot the kernel.  This makes sense to me.  The next part
contradicts my understanding of the process...

You said you can boot the kernel directly -- that sounds
as though you bypass the loader program altogether, but
how do you specify the slice and root partition of the
rest of the system?  If it starts directly from the OS X
slice it can't infer that, can it?  I know that the
command "boot -a" will let you specify this in response
to a question, but I thought that "boot" was calling the
entire bootstrapping sequence, including loader?

This is good stuff -- the porting effort is obviously
much further along than I had hoped!

                                                    Sean