Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 08:12:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Michael Moran <mmoran@veronet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: low-cost router for ATM circuit?

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Michael Moran wrote:

> Can anyone tell me where I can find low-cost router (run by FreeBSD) that
> are ATM capable, just similar to Redback Networks' SMS-500 box for hook-up
> to ATM circuit box (link to telco's DSLAM at their C.O.) to offer local
> ADSL service?
>
> Or, anyone have "poor man's ADSL service" way?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> - Mike

  Uhh... the SMS-500 isn't just an ATM router, it is a subscriber
management system.  If you need subscriber management, a basic ATM router
will not be what you need.  Any Cisco router with the required ATM
interface can do ATM routing, but a Cisco router can't do all the
subscriber management magic that a Redback can.

  Probably a FreeBSD box with an ATM interface, and PPPoE (if that is what
your ADSL provider is using) should come pretty close.  However, I seem
the Redback supporting a lot of different protocols, and your ADSL
provider might require something different.

Tom