Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 07:07:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        DARREND@novell.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, postmaster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ahhhhhhhhhh!

> I don't, I just suffer through hours of reading it each day.
>
> There are a couple of things we can do to help.

(Climb up on the soapbox)

1. Automatically bounce back anything cross posted between
hackers/stable/current (in either "To:" or "Reply-to") forcing the
originator to select only one major list.  Use -announce for anything
that really has to go between more than one of these lists.  I don't
know enough about majordomo to know if this works out of the box.

2. Move a thread to a new list by sending a separate message that
says "moving to <new-list>" as the body.  Hopefully no one will
reply to it.

3. Use appropriate subjects!  I won't even read a message with an
inappropriate subject.  For some reason I just had to know what
"Ahhhh!" was about.

4. Don't change discussion content without changing the title.
Start a new thread with the extracted pearl, an appropriate title,
and on the proper list.

5. Use -chat.

6. Add -policy, or use -chat for -policy.

When there is no technical content in a thread it doesn't belong
on a technical list.  Ideally I'd move this over to -chat but I
know that will not work, resulting in this being carried on in two
places.  This message has no technical content, and so it will be
appropriate in the future for chastising me for sending it to
-hackers.

And most importantly:

7. The biggest responsibility falls on the originator.  Once a
thread is off on the wrong list, with the wrong subject, or has
started discussing something new without changing the list or the
subject it is too late to do much as follow ups will go all over
the place.

--
Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936