Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:39:51 -0800
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@sftw.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmware 2.0 raw disk workaround -- plain disks

I hate it when I get almost there, post, then find the answer. :-)

In order to make this work, I had to specify the actual reported geometry,

not the BIOS faked one. In this case, it's 16383/16/63. I suspect that the

actual solution is to specify a geometry large enough that the BIOS
ends up using the same phony geometry (*/255/63) that the host BIOS
(that is, the real machine) uses.

Just to keep everyone sane, I have for now added /dev/rad0s2 as an
RDONLY section in the correct place. I may try and remove that and
see what VMware does when a plain disk is not fully occupied.