Date:      Thu, 01 May 2014 17:45:08 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@getmail.no>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: crochet - why does it (try to) change files in /usr/src?

On Thu, 2014-05-01 at 23:06 +0200, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> On Thu, 1 May 2014 09:45:58 -0700
> Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com> wrote:
>=20
> >=20
> > On Apr 30, 2014, at 3:56 PM, Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@get=
mail.no> wrote:
> >=20
> > > =3D=3D=3D> lib/libexpat (cleandir)
> > > rm -f bsdxml.h bsdxml_external.h libbsdxml.3.gz libbsdxml.3.cat.gz
> > > rm: bsdxml.h: Permission denied
> > > rm: bsdxml_external.h: Permission denied
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >=20
> > > Stop.
> > > make[4]: stopped in /usr/src/lib/libexpat
> > > (I wasn't running crochet as root, and I suspect it is the reason f=
or failure)
> > >=20
> > > Question 1: it look to me like the script is trying to remove stuff=
 (files) from /usr/src. Why is it doing that?
> >=20
> > It=A2s not.
> >=20
> > The =A1buildworld=A2 target is cleaning the appropriate /usr/obj dire=
ctories in case there was a previous build there.
>=20
> Ok. Given that the appropriate obj directories (in this case) is in the=
 ./work sub directory of
> # pwd
> /usr/home/tingo/work/crochet-freebsd
>=20
> should buildworld really try to touch /usr/obj at all?
>=20

It's not, if the obj dir is inside ./work then surely the script has set
MKOBJDIRPREFIX to reflect that, and that's where it would be doing the
delete.

Is it possible you had run the script previously as root, and this time
you were not root?  If so, the object files from the previous run are
owned by root, and you don't have permission to delete them.

-- Ian