Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2001 12:29:03 EDT
From:      Bsdguru@aol.com
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

In a message dated 7/6/01 4:00:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, billf@mu.org
writes:

> > Nothing BSDi ever did made any sense, so why does this suprise you? The
> fact
>  > that BSDi didnt nothing positive for FreeBSD doesnt surprise me at all.
>
>  Luckily, with this post to the mailing list you can join the ranks of doing
>  nothing positive for the project. Congrats!

I seriously doubt if I am the only one who is beyond disappointed in BSDI's
"contribution" to FreeBSD.

They didnt make it substantially more popular nor did they provide much
critical support (ie important drivers remained broken, etc). The fact that
they provided their excess hardware to some developers is helpful but not
nearly the value they promised. The "people" they provided at trade shows was
to promote their agenda, not FreeBSDs.

Im sorry, but did anyone else see any acceleration in freebsd evolution
during the bsdi period? Seemed like the same folks doing the same old stuff
to me. Having BSDI decide what drivers got written (according to their own
agenda) by providing hardware is potentially more damaging than helpful,
depending of course on their agenda, which was never clear.

All they did was help to tear down some very useful existing relationships,
put a ridiculously expensive "distribution" in bookstores which most likely
had a negative effect on the public perception of the project, and then
funnel the entire mess over to WR who now has some other unknown agenda that
apparently, many here dont buy into. Bravo.