Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 23:08:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
Cc:        ksmm@cybercom.net, troyc@sandy.merix.com, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status on LS-120 drive support? (moving to chat...)

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:

> [moved to -chat instead of cross-psoting to -hackers and -chat]
>
> >> any other similar drive.  The media is everywhere--computer stores, office
> >> supply stores, technical bookstores.  And we all know somebody that has
> >> one, so they're well-tested and great for exchanging with friends.
> >  Don't forget that Zip is available is a SCSI version, which makes it
> >usable on non-intel systems like Mac, Sparc, and SGI.  I don't believe
> >that an IDE-only solution will take off for this reason.
>
> Macs recently started using IDE.  But I don't know how well the
> (laughable) ATAPI/IDE standard handles cross-platform issues.

  As I recall, IDE cables are limited to 18 inches.  Not so good for an
external device.  Plus is there a standard for an external IDE connector?

  Plus, if these drives actually gain wide acceptance, it will really
limit expansion:  you can only have 2 IDE busses, with 2 devices each, and
so desktop systems will now only have only have one free position for
expansion (one for hd, one for cdrom, one for LS 120).  Not so cool...

> Happy hacking,
> joelh
>
> --
> http://www.wp.com/piquan --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
> All my opinions are my own, not the Free Software Foundation's.
>
> Second law of programming:
> Anything that can go wrong wi
> sendmail: segmentation violation -- core dumped

Tom