Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 15:03:16 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        jehamby@lightside.com, coredump@nervosa.com, winter@jurai.net, freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: editors

Chuck Robey stands accused of saying:
> > In Chuck's defense, I would say "vi" too, but if you had a choice of an
> > editor IN ADDITION TO vi, which would you pick? (remember it must fit on
> > the boot floppy :-) I heard one vote for "joe" which is a decent editor,

But it _doesn't_ have to fit on the *#&%%$% boot floppy.  It wants to be
statically linked on the root filesystem, and maybe live on the _fixit_
floppy.

The criteria here is _ease_of_use_by_a_relative_newcomer_to_unix_.

Nothing else is particularly significant.  'ee' and 'pico' are both good
candidates; they put the important keystrokes on the screen where they
can be easily seen.  They are modeless (try explaining a modal editor to
someone who's never used one before; they'll look at you like you're
some kind of drooling lunatic, I assure you) and they don't require
amazing finger gymnastics to use (yes, _I_ use emacs).

If you're a seasoned unixhead who worships the sectors vi abides
within, I bet you can edit root's .chsrc to change the value of EDITOR
faster than I can say
"twoallbeefpattiesspecialsaucelettucecheesepicklesonionsonasesameseedbun"
(and I used to get my free burger every time).

> I am talking about lowering the fear level for approaching FreeBSD.

_YES_